running & cycling

Thursday, April 23, 2009

March 21, 2009
Bushwhacking Journey in Old Fort

I met up with Matt, Patty and David Kirk, along with Lily Chang-Chien and Uwharrie for some morning trail maintenance. We worked on clearing a trail in Mackey Mountain Bear Preserve. The road we hiked to the trail involved a precarious stream crossing on two cables, one for feet and one for hands.

We cleared foliage nad in some places searched for the actual route. I got in a nap at one point. We had lunch and then Matt, David, Uwharrie and I headed up a steep slope to begin our journey. I took lead like I like to do when the trail is faint. My legs got scratched but that's merely collateral damage. After a significant amount of climbing, we reached a maintained portion of trail. I'd approached this from the other side years ago but turned back at this point.

We headed down the other side toward Curtis Creek campground. I took off, blazing down the mountainside, through numerous switchbacks and lush greenery. I stopped at the waterfall to wait for everybody. Soon, it was off again and into the campground.

From there, we headed up Snooks nose, a repressingly steep hike which gets worse the further you go. I couldn't keep up with them on this stretch. The downhill was a different matter. I blazed down again and came up to a section of private property. Covert operations were in effect. We traipsed through someone's yard and found the trail, across a small creek and up a steep grade.

We climbed up, grabbing roots and saplings and entered onto the trail. This was Star Gap and took us up to Jarrett Creek road. We opted to continue on singletrack until it was apparent we were moving away from the road so we backtracked to Jarrett Creek rd. I lost them at this point and knew there was no way I'd catch them on a road.

I plodded along until I got to a point where the road doubled back on itself. I bushwhacked down a fairly steep bank and onto the road. One more bushwhack cut off nearly a mile. This one wasn't nearly as easy. I cruised down a ways but then entered a rhododendron hell. I climbed up and over myriad entanglements, eventually reaching the road, but not before I fell backward on my butt.

It was just another mile to the car. We went to the finest Mexican joint in Old Fort, which is actually a bit better than any Mexican place in Asheville.

B-Rex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home