running & cycling

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

February 28, 2009
Mount Mitchell Challenge

The weather appeared to be a non factor again. The forecast two days out called for 50's and mild weather. That changed on Friday, when rain, high winds and snow were forecast. My wardrobe plan would have to change.

I arrived close to start time so I didn't get to talk to everybody before the race. Rain was falling so I wanted to limit my time in it. That way I was warm at the start.

We started up Cherry Street and out onto Montreat. It was quite comfortable despite the steady sky tears. I ran with Bryan Hill for a while and Adam Hill cheered us on as we passed through the stone arches of Montreat. I slowed up a bit and met up with Travis Cowan. We stayed together on Rainbow road but then he went ahead.

I didn't push it on any part of the climb. The weather was miserable but I didn't let it get me down. My pace was slow and deliberate so I could save some for the downhill.

Nearing the Parkway, I was informed by search and rescue that the time cutoff had been changed. I'd been through two aid stations since the decision was made and no one communicated anything whatsoever about the change. I had made the official cutoff time with over 15 minutes to spare but was prevented from ascending Mt. Mitchell due to high winds and snow.

The purpose of having this race in February is to throw in the wild card of potentially severe weather. Some runners did suffer from hypothermia. The addition of drop bags at the Parkway aid station would have eliminated this problem.

I ran into Bryan Hill right before the aid station and he ran back to it with me. Our race was over so there was no hurry to finish up. We hadn't planned on running a marathon so the return trip plodded along at a leisurely pace. I helped out a woman who had lost all dexterity in her fingers. She couldn't open her pack. Hours upon hours of rain tend to render simple tasks impossible.

At the second to last aid station, I met up with Bedford Boyce. We trotted out the rest of the course together. It still meant plenty of time on our feet so it wasn't a lost cause.

B-Rex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home