running & cycling

Monday, December 22, 2008

Oct. 4, 2008
Looking Glass Loop

This was to be a 40+ mile trek up the Art Loeb Trail, the Mountains to Sea Trail and the Monutains to Sea alternate. It's a neatly packaged loop but I saw it as taking 12+ hours to complete and opted to start up top. I left Charlie Robert's vehicle at Black Balsam road, after relaxing in the surprisingly warm sun for a couple of hours.

I started out before noon, so I could get a head start and take my time. My goal was to enjoy every bit of the run. I would start out hiking and run when I felt like it. My feet had recovered from the metatalsalgia issues and my knees felt better but still flared up on occasion. Starting out slowly seemed to benefit the knees and as a bonus I could take in more of the trail, as I had been on the first portion of the MTS only once before and had never done a six mile stretch of it.

The trail starts on a slight decline, occasionally following an old railbed. It's been washed in portions but much of it is still intact. Soon, switchbacks lead down to a trail junction, which leads to the Graveyard Fields area. A gorgeous heath tunnel then swallows you up in a sea of green. The rhododendrons are mature and emit odoriferous decaying scents which are most pleasing to the olfactories and help to energize. I sped up and surprised some hikers. I'd heard voices for some time but took a while to prove that I wasn't simply hearing voices.

Shortly thereafter, I happened upon a group of senior hikers. They were surprised at how fast I was moving downhill and I was impressed just to see them out hiking. The trail then opened up into a mixed forest with a fair number of large trees. I had thoughts about visiting Yellowstone Falls but opted to pass and save the extra mile.

It was then downward toward Skinny Dip Falls. I'd been here only once, in support of Adam Hill, on his Pingman's quest in 2007. I was pushed off a rock into the swimming hole, which made for a nice photo. Matt Kirk was slated to start here and finish off the run with everyone else. I missed him by about an hour but expected him to reach me at some point.

I was very pleased with the decision to skip the arduous Art Loeb climb. I still had some climbing in store but nothing like that 7,000 feet of climb. I only do that once a year, at ALTAR.

The trail crossed the Parkway and 276, skirting the Blue Ridge escarpment, until the alternate MTS turns right and heads toward the Pink Beds. There's a short bomber descent and then it stays flat for a while.

I expected to see someone come from behind but there was no one. I moved quicker than I thought I had and soon started a gradual climb up toward Black Mountain. I was unfamiliar with this portion as well but recognized a few spots. It had to be the correct route but I still couldn't help to wonder if I'd taken the wrong trail.

Things got steeper and gnarlier. Some mountain bikers were coming toward me at about two miles an hour. How they navigated the ridiculous rock formations is beyond me. Reaching the top of Clawhammer, I enjoyed a brief downhill but to my dismay, Black Mountain loomed ahead. Both peaks are quite rocky and steep.

The other side of Black Mountain was a bit smoother and made for an extended, enjoyable descent. As I enjoyed the drop, dog tags rattled from behind. Uwharrie had been sniffing me out just like she had at the Bartram run on New Year's Day. Matt Kirk wasn't far behind. We ran together for just over a half mile but my lungs didn't permit me to stay with him. The rest of my body felt strong but I'd forgotten just how much effort it took to downhill at a rapid pace.

The downhill went on for miles, one of the better downhills I've run. I made it out well before dark, which was in doubt about seven miles earlier. The rest of the gang, Mohammed, Charlie, Matthew and Adam met us in the parking lot. Mohammed, Charlie, Matt and Lily dined in Brevard.

I got in 24 miles with a bunch of downhill. My knees held up and everything felt right. It was evident that I wasn't in the best of shape but now things could progress as I was again running without pain.

B-Rex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home